Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

2 Brushes with Fame, 1 smash against the Wall and 1 Smashing Good Book About a Famous Person!

Monday, June 7, 2010
Yes, I know, that title is quite of mouthful! Well, let's see if I can clear things up!

Several weeks ago, Rod and I went to a Med Center dinner. I don't usually get excited about these events. In fact, I not so lovingly call them, "Pantyhose dinners!" You see, "Pantyhose Dinners" usually involve putting on nice clothes (hence the "Pantyhose" title) sitting with people I may or may not know, making small-talk, watching out that I don't tell any "good" jokes...basically, spending the evening working very hard at behaving myself! That is a tough job!!

Well, it was time to get ready for this dinner and I couldn't get there fast enough! You see, we got to sit at the table with the special guest speaker of the evening!! Are you ready?!?! The one and only....MARG HELGENBERGER from my very favorite show, CSI!!! She is originally from Nebraska and was asked to come to Omaha and speak about surviving cancer. Her mother, who now lives in Omaha, is a breast cancer survivor! Marg's mom (yes, we are now on a first name basis) was at the dinner, but didn't sit at our table. I made Rod sit next to Marg because I was so nervous that I would say or do something stupid. I couldn't come up with a single "good" question, so I...are you ready for this?...I just sat there and ate my dinner! I DIDN'T SAY ONE WORD THE WHOLE EVENING! Well, that's not entirely true. My dear, sweet, beloved husband asked if I could have my picture taken with her. As I was standing there, panicking about what I could/should say, I blurted out the only thing I could think of...."Wow! I can't believe I'm standing here next to you! I love your show! I'm so excited, I hope I don't pass out!"



Yes, me, the "Word Wizard" said those lovely, lovely words! Marg kindly responded, "Well, I'm glad that you are such a fan!" Oh LORD!! WHY ME!! After the photo op, I sat back down in my seat, still in awe of my luck, not realizing my lovely word choice. I dreamily smooth out my skirt and discover a BIG BLOB OF DESSERT ON MY SKIRT...SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BELLY!!! ARG!!! God was looking out for me though, the photographer only took head shots. Plus, I'm pretty sure Marg didn't notice my meal on my stomach, since she was still trying to figure out how "her people" let this crazy woman get so close to her!

My second brush with fame just happened this weekend. Rod and I attended "The Cattlemen's Ball" in Kearney, Nebraska.



This is the 12th year that this group of people have held these amazing fundraisers where they have raised millions of dollars for the Eppley Cancer Center and cancer research in Omaha.

We drove to Kearney Saturday morning (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Omaha) and found the ranch where all of the festivities were being held. There were all kinds of things to do, look at cattle, farm equipment, eat, drink, shop and bid on silent auction items. After dinner was when the excitement happened! Our evening entertainment was the one and only RANDY TRAVIS!!



We were so close! Rod thought that we were maybe 50 feet from the stage! He sang for nearly 2 hours.



The real treat happened after the concert! There was a small reception for Randy that Rod and I were invited to attend! He autographed a couple of CD's for us and we got our picture taken with him!



He was very kind. He even asked about my oxygen. I told him about Pulmonary Hypertension, although I was a bit tongue-tied (yes, shocker!) and am not sure I was really making any sense! But, it was still a fantastic experience!

Now, for the "Smash Against the Wall." Our evening went quite late, with Rod and I getting back to the hotel around 11:30 p.m. You realize, I've usually mixed and switched my Flolan and am in bed by 9:30 or 10:00! Rod was kind enough to mix for me. But, by the time I switched and cleaned up, it was almost 12:30 a.m. before I got to sleep. During the evening, I got up to use the restroom. I was not very "with it" and managed to trip over the suitcase! Somehow when I fell, my arm hit the corner of the wall!



Lovely isn't it? That's what being on blood thinners will do for you!!

Now, for the final part of this post...the "Smashing Good Book About a Famous Person!"

I just finished this incredible book called, "Boxes The Secret Life of Howard Hughes."
It is written by Douglas Wellman and tells about the secret life of Howard Hughes when he was married to Eva McLelland and was living under the assumed identity of Verner Nicely. Although, he went by the nickname of "Nik." It is an amazing story that includes photos, documentation and professional research that shows there were two "Howard Hughes" with the "stand-in" passing away in 1976 and the real Howard Hughes living until 2001! Eva promised "Nik" that she would not tell his story while he was alive. In 2002, she contacted Mark Miller to tell the "whole story" before she passed away. It is an amazing story! If you are interested in this book, you can go to Amazon.com, or a much easier way would be to go to the top of this pages and click on the "writelife" icon.

OK, this is the 2nd novel I have written! I've got to shorten these babies, or no one is going to want to read them!

Thanks for checking in.
Thanks for reading.

Annette

15 comments to 2 Brushes with Fame, 1 smash against the Wall and 1 Smashing Good Book About a Famous Person!:

Katie said...

Wow!!! Next time you are bound for a brush with celebrity, you can bring your niece along for the ride if you want to... haha
Great pics and GREAT line for Marg...

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so glad you were able to meet Marg. Her mom's a friend of mine and I've met her several times and she's very sweet. We also saw Randy Travis sing with the Ft. Worth orchestra last fall and loved his concert. What a fun time for you!

dab said...

I think two encounters with celebrities in one week makes YOU a celebrity. Kinda like those people who are only famous because they hang out with famous people. Can I have your autograph?!

Annette said...

Hello my beautiful niece!! Well, you just never know what happens when you come along with me for a ride!! Thanks for commenting!
love you, sweetie!

Annette said...

Donna, I didn't realize you were in touch with "the beautiful people" also!! Maybe we should compare notes sometime! :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a comment. Thanks.
annette

Annette said...

Yes, "DAB" you can certainly have MY autograph! But, then you'll have to give me YOUR autograph too!!
Thanks for reading and commenting, my friend.
love
annette

Anonymous said...

no one said anything about your smash against the wall. It looks like it must hurt very bad. Your arm must hurt so terribly.Take care
thanks for the book review.

Di said...

Don't shorten your Blog...you know how I love reading about your life my dear friend.
OUCH!!! All I can say about your poor arm.
What fun to be able to meet and be photographed with such famous, delightful people. I am sure they were both charmed by you...dessert on your tummy and all. I love how REAL you are. You always make me smile.
hugs, di

Bonnie,NV said...

Annette I'll have to get you one of those miner hats that have a light on it for night trips. LOL Hope your feeling beter and yea me too I want your autograph. Please be more careful we need you to keep writing your blogs. Take care Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site annettesexcitingblog.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Anonymous said...

Sorry for off topic, but 2012 is close, is this really matter?

Anonymous said...

Wie kann ich Sie bitten um weitere Informationen? Great post müssen mehr wissen ...

Anonymous said...

Molto buon posto.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would comment and say great theme, did you code it for yourself? Really looks excellent!.